Love Food 2 Love Life
Bacalhau (salt cod) with vegetables and creamIngredients:
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- I cup of fish stock
- bacalhau, soaked, cooked and flaked - discarding the skin and bones
- bunch of parsley, chopped
- a knob of butter
- 200ml of cream
- 600/700g of potatoes
- salt (be cautious as the fish will be salty, despite soaking)
- In a large deep pan, add the olive oil.
- Add the garlic, celery, leek and carrot.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes and add the fish stock. (I make stock in batches and freeze it like ice cubes)
- Simmer until the vegetables soften. Add a splash of water if the mixture becomes too thick.
- While the sauce is simmering, boil the potatoes. When cooked add a knob of butter and rough mash the potatoes. Set aside.
- Add the cream to the sauce and mix together.
- Gently fold in the flaked fish, rough mashed potatoes and parsley.
- You can serve the meal at this stage (carrots are a great accompaniment) or transfer to an oven proof dish, sprinkle the top with some grated cheese and bake for 10 minutes at about 180/190 degrees centigrade.