Love Food 2 Love Life
- 800g of potatoes for mashing
- 300g of butternut squash, cubed for mashing
- a generous knob of butter for the mash
- full fat milk for the mash
- salt and pepper
- 2 to 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 600 to 800g of minced meat (as you wish - pork or beef or a mix)
- 3 carrots, sliced
- half a small cabbage, shredded
- 2 large leeks, sliced
- 1 cup of medium or sweet sherry
- 380/390g tomato puree (passata)
- 60/70g of 'Tuc' or 'Ritz' biscuits
- Grated Cheddar cheese or similar
- 50/60g Butter, softened to mix with the crumbed biscuits
- Dried Oregano, to sprinkle on top
- MAKES 4 GENEROUS PORTIONS
- Peel the potatoes and butternut squash and cut into chunks. Place in a pan of salted boiling water.
- When the potatoes/butternut squash are soft, mash with butter and milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large pan, add the olive oil, the carrots, leeks and cabbage. Salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Add the minced meat and combine together.
- Add the sherry and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomato puree and simmer to cook through.
- Place the meat mixture in and oven dish and top with the mashed potatoes/butternut squash.
- Sprinkle over the cheese crumble topping and finish with a shake of dried oregano.
- Cook for 25 to 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degrees centigrade (350 degrees fahrenheit)