Love Food 2 Love Life
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil + additional for frying the aubergine slices.
- 2 large aubergine, sliced
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 or 4 leeks, cut into 1cm slices
- 2 sweet red peppers, chopped
- 4 large tomatoes chopped, or a tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1 cup of white wine
- A squeeze of tomato paste
- 1kg of minced meat ( I use half beef and half pork)
- a tablespoon of dried oregano
- 4 sheets of fresh lasagne
- 150g grated cheese
- FOR THE BECHAMEL SAUCE: 60/70g of butter,1/3 cup plain flour, 4 1/2 cups of milk, 75g of parmesan cheese, finely grated, pinch of salt, pinch of nutmeg.
- Salt the sliced aubergines and leave to sweat in a colander. This gets rid of the sour juices.
- Wash and dry off the aubergines.
- In a saucepan with olive oil, pan fry the aubergines, then set aside on kitchen towel to soak up the excess oil.
- In a large pan, add the olive oil, onions, garlic, leeks, peppers, tomatoes, celery.
- Add salt and pepper and fry gently for 10 minutes. Add the wine. Then, add the tomato paste and oregano. Simmer.
- Add the meat, and mix to combine all the ingredients - making sure the meats cook through.
- If the mixture has too much liquid, make up a paste of cornflour and water (as directed on the cornflour packet) to thicken.
- Set aside.
- Make the béchamel sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the flour. Keep stirring for 1 to 2 minutes until bubbling. Remove from the heat. Slowly add the milk, stirring until mixture is smooth and then then return to the heat . Cook on for about 10 minutes, keeping the sauce lump free. Take off the heat and add the parmesan, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large oven dish, spoon in a layer of the meat mixture and dot over some of the aubergine slices. Add a layer of pasta, another layer of the meat mixture, a few aubergines, another layer of pasta, a layer of meat and then the last aubergines. Pour over the béchamel sauce.
- Sprinkle the top with grated cheese and a sprinkle of dried oregano.
- Bake in the oven at 180/190 degrees centigrade for 35 minutes.