Love Food 2 Love Life
- 1kg Beef Brisket
- 2 ltr Salt Beef Brine Cure (www.weschenfelder.co.uk)
- 150g Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Crushed Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Coriander Seed
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Thyme
- Mix the brine by adding 95% water to 5% of the Salt Beef Cure.
- Add the sugar and spices to the brine. Bring to the boil. Cool.
- Once the brine is cold, place the beef in a plastic container and pour over the meat to cover.
- If the meat floats to the top, weigh it down.
- Leave in the fridge for 3-4 days, turning the beef daily. For larger pieces, extend this time by a day or two.
- Once the beef is cured, wash under cold running water.
- Cook in a water bath. It can be simmered slowly on the hob, but I prefer to put mine in a water bath in a deep baking tray in the oven.
- For a 'medium' result, I test the meat with a meat thermometer and stop the cooking process when the meat reaches 60 degrees centigrade. (70 degrees centigrade if you wish to achieve a well cooked joint).